Providing real estate valuations and consulting services to professionals who value quality.
The company began in 1961 when Larry Grant began Western New York Appraisal Company. Within a few months, the company was renamed to Grant Appraisal & Research. Major sources of work during this period included projects from the City of Buffalo Urban Renewal Agency and the New York State Department of Transportation.
In 1970, the corporation performed a revaluation for the Town of Amherst. This revaluation work led to the formation of KVS, an entity later sold-off in the mid-1980s. Also in 1970, through Erie County Savings Bank’s internal innovations and efficient residential appraisals, GAR successfully captured nearly 100 percent of the residential work.
During the 70s and 80s, the company grew through bank clients, attorneys, developers and accounting firms, as did its reputation for quality appraisal services. During the 1980s, the company became known as GAR Associates, Inc. (short for Grant Appraisal and Research Corp).
During the 1990s, the commercial department as we know it today, began to take shape. Several new commercial appraisers joined GAR in the early 1990s, including four commercial appraisers who remain on staff today. GAR moved into its current location on Sweet Home Road in 1995.
Beginning in 2016, GAR Associates ownership changed to include M. Scott Allen, Ronald J. Rubino and F. Cindy Baire.
The core of our business today remains centered on the real estate valuation profession, but our work efforts continue to shift towards a wide variety of real estate consulting.
We have expanded our efforts in specific areas such as:
- Preparation of market studies for housing projects. Our reports are accepted by U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), New York State Homes & Community Renewal (NYS DHCR), and other market participants, and we are members of The National Council of Affordable Housing Market Analysts.
- Our government team is prepared to provide a wide array of services above and beyond the needs associated with a full revaluation or annual update.
- This includes assistance with specific valuation issues, public relations or office administration.
- Our commercial appraisal department continues to provide the highest quality valuations including highly complex type properties. We offer a variety of appraisal report types and assist in providing professional court testimony.
We continue to look for new and advanced approaches to provide our clients the most accurate and supporting real estate information. The markets that we serve include:
- Residential clients: mortgage bankers, banks, home equity companies, realtors and attorneys. Our territories include most of Western New York and the Greater Buffalo region.
- Commercial clients: banks and private lenders, investors, municipalities and government agencies, developers and property owners, accounting firms, attorneys and realtors. Our clients are national in scope, but our work effort is primarily concentrated throughout Upstate New York. We have the experience and the capability to service other northeastern and national territories.
- Government markets are concentrated in Upstate New York markets to include municipalities, county and state agencies.
- Consulting markets include a variety of residential, commercial and government clients who use real estate valuation and administrative services. Market analysis for housing projects are prepared in conjunction with tax credit (NYS DHCR) and HUD guidelines; clients include state agencies, developers, lenders and investors.
Current membership of GAR Associates LLC consists of:
- M. Scott Allen – Partner (HUD & Market Study)
- Ronald J. Rubino, MAI – Partner (Commercial, Residential and Government Services)
- F. Cindy Baire – Partner (Commercial, Residential and Government Services)
This executive team works together to manage existing business and develop new business with the integration of technology and professional appraisal practices.
Meet the Team